Our pets, aka fur babies, often become like members of our family. They provide us with companionship, comfort, and unconditional love. But those of us with pets know they can also leave an excess of hair and dander all over our homes. This meansextra vacuuming and keeping a lint roller close by. But as pet owners, you also need to be aware of some important HVAC maintenance tips necessary to keep your system working efficiently and effectively.
- Regular groom your pets. Pet hair rapidly covers your HVAC filter’s surface and can clog air ducts. Regular grooming can help reduce the amount of shedding, with the added benefit of cutting your cleaning time.
- Check/change your HVAC filter frequently. Dogs and cats not only shed massive amounts of hair, but also pet dander. These tiny particles of dead skin become airborne and get caught in your air filter. Your filter quickly gets caked with dust, pet hair and dander, blocking airflow. Once this airflow is blocked, your AC will keep running, trying to cool your home, to no avail. And because the cycle keeps working without cooling the air down, it’ll be reflected in your utility bill. The more pets you have the more often you should change your filter. If you or a family member suffer from allergies, you may want to change your filter even more often.
- Clean air vents. Pet hair and dander can easily clog your air vents too. A simple task to help with this is to remember and include your air vents when you vacuum your house. Switch to hose mode, and you can suck up all the dust and hair around your air vents.
- Install an air cleaner. An air cleaner reduces the amount of pet hair and dander that end up in your air filter and ventilation system. It keeps your HVAC system cleaner, reducing the chances that your heating and cooling equipment will fail prematurely or require expensive maintenance.
- Call HVAC professional for regular maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best thing you can do for your HVAC system. This ensures everything is cleaned thoroughly, prevents any additional damage by identifying potential problems, keeps your system working efficiently and will help prolong the life of your equipment.
At Rainaldi Home Services, we love our pets too, and we know what it takes to keep your HVAC system working despite extra pet hair and dandruff. Our technicians can clean your system and perform a comprehensive list of maintenance tasks to keep your HVAC system running in tip-top shape. Give us a call (407) 413-9795 or contact us online to schedule a tune-up or learn more about installing an air cleaner.