Water Testing for Health & Safety

filtered drink water

Water testing is a great way to ensure the health and safety of you and your family. Water is an important, even essential part of our everyday lives. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “The average American consumes one to two liters of drinking water per day.”1 This equals about one-half gallon of water (which is a low estimate if you’re like me!)  With this amount of daily consumption, not to mention all of the other ways we use water every day, it just makes sense to ensure your home’s water supply is clean and safe.

Not only do we drink water every day, but we are exposed daily to water when we eat food prepared using water, breathe in the water droplets or vapors while showering, and absorb it through our skin while bathing. All of these daily activities can expose us to contaminants such as bacteria, nitrates, arsenic and other potentially harmful elements that can exist in our water supply.

If you have water quality problems you may see the effect in the taste, color or even odor of the water. Unfortunately, water quality problems can lead to health problems. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that “if drinking water contains unsafe levels of contaminants, it can cause health effects, such as gastrointestinal illnesses, nervous system or reproductive effects, and chronic diseases such as cancer.” 1

“As many as 63 million people — nearly a fifth of the United States — from rural central California to the boroughs of New York City, were exposed to potentially unsafe water more than once during the past decade, according to a News21 investigation of 680,000 water quality and monitoring violations from the Environmental Protection Agency,”  2  According to the same article, “experts warn that contamination in water can lead to cancer, gastrointestinal diseases and developmental delays in children. The EPA estimates local water systems will need to invest $384 billion in the coming decades to keep water clean.” 2

In Florida, about 80% of state residents are provided with drinking water by public water systems which are regulated by the Federal and State Safe Drinking Water Acts. The other 20% of Florida’s population receives drinking water from private wells.3 Many state and federal authorities recommend private wells be tested at least once a year to ensure that the water is safe for consumption, but even homes hooked up to the public water system can benefit from a routine test to confirm nothing has leaked into your water supply through your pipes.

The quality of your home’s water is important to the health and safety of you and your family. At Rainaldi Home Services, we offer both point-of-use and whole home water filtration systems that provide you and your family with cleaner, clearer and better tasting water for your home. Give us a call at (407) 413-9795 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help provide you with a safe, healthy and worry-free water source.

1 “Drinking Water.” EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, 11 Sept. 2018, www.epa.gov/report-environment/drinking-water.
2 Philip, Agnel, et al. “63 Million Americans Exposed to Unsafe Drinking Water.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 15 Aug. 2017, www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/08/14/63-million-americans-exposed-unsafe-drinking-water/564278001/.
3 Florida Department of Health – Public Health Tracking System, www.floridatracking.com/healthtracking/topic.htm?i=19.
Scroll to Top