If you’re a Spring early bird this may be a great time to get outside, enjoy the weather and get some of your outdoor tasks done before the weather gets too hot. Some of these tasks might even help you enjoy the weather more!
- Clean your patio furniture and umbrella.
- Clean doormats or just buy new ones!
- Clean your grill so you have no reason not to cook outside.
- Power wash the patio and/or deck. Seal the wood, if necessary.
- Clean the siding on your home. This washes off cobwebs, dirt, etc. You can scrub mold and mildew off the walls of your home with a solution of diluted chlorine bleach, water, and laundry detergent. (Great tip from Tara Aronson, author of “Mrs. Clean Jeans’ Housekeeping with Kids”)
- Mow your lawn regularly (every 1-2 weeks). After mowing it’s good to leave the grass clippings so that they can go back into the soil and provide a healthy source of nitrogen for the lawn.
- Fertilize your lawn. If using a granular fertilizer, fertilize your lawn on a day when rain is forecasted in the near future. This allows the fertilizer to “melt” into the soil and become available for use by the plant roots.
- Control pests by treating your lawn for grubs and crickets to ensure a healthy lawn.
- Check your outdoor hoses and irrigation system.
- Check gutters, downspouts, and roof for leaks.
- Remove storm windows. Inspect for damage, clean, repair, then store.
- Wash windows, if you haven’t already, and put in screens.
- Clear out debris from under decks or porches.
- Plant annuals. Make hanging baskets with annuals for your porch or patio.
- Cut back any trees or branches that are touching the siding or roof.
- Don’t forget to check any outdoor play equipment for damage, and then repair.
- Get an A/C tune-up.
Regularly maintaining the major systems in your home is one of the most important money-saving practices of home ownership. Regular maintenance pays for itself. Learn more about the maintenance plan we offer at Rainaldi.